Monday, October 24, 2011

We Interrupt This Monday Evening for Some Metal

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the Oxford comma.


Friday night I had the distinct pleasure of seeing both a band I never thought I would get to see, and a veritable metal legend. I've taken a pause in my giant bowl of buh-sketti-O's long enough to tell you all about it.


Cards on the table - I totally lied just there. I just wolfed down the rest of the O's. So now I can continue unfettered . . .


We saw Otep and Cavalera Conspiracy Friday night. At - seriously, are you ready for this? - McGuffy's House of Draft. McGuffy's. For any of you from the Dayton era that were at any point from, oh, 1985 on maybe, in to any kind of shitty metal, you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who aren't/weren't, I am so sorry that you do not. McGuffy's is one of those local legendary joints that waxes and wanes in both its popularity and reputation. Let's put it this way: Queensryche, Dream Theater, Dio, and countless other legends have played there. But so have I. So there you go. It has an eternal beer stank, but also guitars a' la Hard Rock decorating the walls.


So I, my fella, two of his friends, and approximately 100 Daytonians ventured out to see some metal. I have to tell you - I've been a quiet fan of Otep for quite a long time. I was working at a record store and a coworker put in Otep's CD, then watched my face. I wasn't into a lot of cookie monster metal, but this stuff had a groove and I was digging on it OK. Then my coworker said "by the way, that's a chick." AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH OTEP. Their live performance did not disappoint. They were - oh my god you guys, I'm gonna say it, I'm gonna say it - tighter than Tool on two possibly three of the four Tool performances I have seen. Seriously. Cavalera Conspiracy was also super fun, and - personal achievement - I was within like five feet of a pit. Side note - before the show Jason made a comment about Max's dreads possibly being held together by poo, and that might not have been a joke.


Guys, I kind of lied to you again. This is not a post about metal. I led you here under that guise, but what I really want to talk about? Dub step. Seriously. Both Otep and Cavalera Conspiracy took to the blackened stage to some haaaaardcore dub. I loved it. I really wanted to find out who it was, but couldn't think of a single person to ask in that Red Bull Metal Stank crowd. Not one person.


I only learned about dub step a few months ago, and I guess by that time it was already cool to make fun of it. But screw you guys, I listen to what I want! I thought I had reached a point in my life where I was completely unafraid to be into things that aren't looked upon as "real*." Art, music, movies, TV shows, I thought I no longer cared and had well reached an age where if you judge me because of what entertains me, you are the douche. Learned an important lesson Friday - apparently I'm not quite there yet. So now I have to spend literally minutes on the world wide web trying to figure out those sweet sweet sounds that rumbled my belly and made me want to dance like a French hipster before two crusty metal bands took the stage.



*Uck, god, case in point. I just popped over to another blog site and I saw the following: "Any fans of REAL music out there, I urge you to go see band-X."


So, I aim to update this blog a lot more frequently. I can't promise there will be anything of note here, just random thoughts and an occasional rant, I'm sure. But recently I've been chock full of excuses as to why I don't write (editorially and creatively) and the jar just emptied. So stay tuned, friends and neighbors. Or better yet, chime in and start a conversation!

5 comments:

  1. Updates! If I can blog a shitty drawing a day, you can update at least twice a month. I dare you. I triple dog dare you.

    That said, I don't know what dub step is. I know what I think it is, but I am not sure what it actually is. And I refuse to do any research into this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support your refusal to learn about pretentious maybe-French electronica.

    And guess what. I've already typed up another one, to be queued up tomorrow or Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may or may not have tossed this link at you before, but...

    http://deathboy.co.uk

    That's my man Scott. He does techno, industrial, dubstep, electronica...you'd dig it. A lot of the stuff is free, but End of an Error is an EXCELLENT album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If - hypothetically - I have really been getting into Daft Punk and similar acts, would Dub Step be something I would want to check out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dex - I think you have, but I will be totally honest and admit that I completely spaced on it. I am bookmarking that link now.

    Eric - honestly I'm not sure. Most of what I've heard is pretty dark which I think we both agree is good. I'll email some youtube links your way of things I've found that I dig.

    ReplyDelete